Thursday, December 5, 2013

Scarves, Scarves, Scarves

I pretty much feel like that's all I've really been doing lately! Since my student loan debt has decided to start poking me right around the holiday season, there's no better year to start making holiday gifts instead of buying. Don't get me wrong, I finished my small round of store-bought gifts on Black Friday. But this year, I'm bringing back old tradition with a few homemade gifts as well. :)

Here's a sneak peek--and I can talk about this one since my Grandpa likely doesn't follow my blog, hehe. I'm working on this scarf for him, meant to be just your plain-old manly-man's scarf. I'm using a ribbed stitch (just single crochets in the back loop) and I must say, I wish I would have done double crochet with how time-consuming it has been. I guess that's all part of my learning process here. But I must press on!

I want to try to experiment with different stitches, which is why I chose the ribbed stitch. I got the idea from my dear crochet bible, Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet (I think I found this at Jo Ann Fabrics). It's been really helpful with my self-taught crochet journey. It has tons of patterns, stitches, tutorials, you name it. Not a bad price tag either!



For this scarf I'm using Lion Brand yarn, in the Heartland collection. It's in the "Black Canyon" color. I'm using a size 5mm crochet hook, I believe. This is the first work I've done without following a specific pattern, so I hope it turns out okay. I think my foundation is a chain of 15-20. I would have liked it to be a smidge wider, but I think it'll do. I hope this thing doesn't take me a decade to finish. Must. Complete. Before. Christmas.

Working on one for Matt next per his request. Let's see if he'll even wear it!

*Note to self:  get a nicer camera. Your phone pictures are horrid.

Hope everyone's week is going well! Mine has been extremely stressful. I'm trying to start each day with a newer, more positive outlook, but my mornings have been making that difficult. I'm trying to remind myself to breathe....take it slow....don't overreact....let everything take its course. Ahhh.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment